Zubi Ondo | Zarautz


Zubi-Ondo farmhouse was registered in Azpeitia on 13 May 1905. The building was constructed by Segundo Maria Laburu Mujika and is located in the Iñurritza neighborhood, between the Iñurritza river and Talai-mendi mountain. Segundo María died on 25th September 1924 and the ownership of the land and the building passed to the only man in the house, Agustín Laburu Mugika. Later, when Agustín died, his son received the farmhouse. In 1981, Ramón Laburu and Inmaculada Bellabazo built the Zubi-Ondo restaurant.

They ran it for a few years and then it was rented out for another few years. In the last 15 years the great-grandchildren of Zubi-Ondo have continued the legacy specifically Lorea and Gorka. During the years 2009-2010 a protected biotope was created in the Zubi-Ondo area. The environment underwent a great change and their saturated land was expropriated to build the biotope. In January 2018, the Zubi-Ondo house and restaurant was refurbished and today it is completely renovated. 



STREAMING (24/11/21)


La Antigua | Zumarraga


The hermitage of La Antigua is located in Zumarraga, in the upper part of the valley of the river Urola.
The first documents that mention this hermitage date back to 1366. It has an unequalled interior beauty, the most outstanding feature of which is the mixture of stone and wood. Its defensive exterior is notable for its 14th century Romanesque doorway and the Calvary, which was built during the extension work in the 15th century. The hermitage houses a Gothic carving of the Virgin.
The hermitage of La Antigua is one of the three key points on the Route of the Three Temples, together with the sanctuaries of Loiola and Arantzazu. It is a clear example of Basque Romanesque architecture and is considered to be the Cathedral of the Hermitages due to the unequalled beauty of its interior built in stone and wood.
The church consists of a single nave, which is divided into three parts by six thick cylindrical pillars. The roof is gabled. The chancel and side tribunes are formed by a wooden floor and follow the traditional layout adopted in many typical churches of the region, especially in the Basque-French part.
Its rustic construction, a forest of oak, attracts the visitor’s attention to the roof, beams, braces, parapets, spires… all of which are decorated with geometric motifs, female heads, etc., characteristic decoration of the late Middle Ages in the Basque Country.
Part of the interior woodwork shows carvings of wheels and swastikas, representing the Celtic origin of the sun and fire.
The La Antigua enclave also has a family recreation area with trees, tables and stone benches. From here you can take a pleasant walk to Mount Beloki.



STREAMING (08/11/21)